The internet makes everything so easy these days. We can order dinner, clothes, household items, even furniture online. But is it really a good idea to order orthodontic treatment online?
At Drobocky Orthodontics, we think it’s important to ask a few questions before making that decision. Recently the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) put out a Consumer Alert; it advises that when researching orthodontic treatment (including treatment models from direct-to-consumer companies like SmileDirectClub, Candid Co., Smilelove, SnapCorrect, Orthly, etc), you should consider many key questions.
Below we’ve outlined what we think are the most important questions from that consumer alert.
Important Questions To Ask
- As part of your treatment, are comprehensive diagnostic records like x-rays taken before your treatment?
- Is only one treatment type offered (such as invisible aligners or a certain appliance)?
- As part of your treatment fee, do you receive any in-person visits to a dentist’s or orthodontist’s office during your treatment?
- If a dentist or orthodontist is involved with your treatment, do you know the name of the dentist or orthodontist who will be specifically involved with your case (for example, is it available on the company’s website or elsewhere)?
- What are the possible risks (financial, health, etc.) associated with your orthodontic treatment?
- Who is responsible for detecting any issues that may occur during your orthodontic treatment? Is it you? If it is a doctor not associated with your treatment, who pays for those check-ups?
- If a doctor is involved with your orthodontic treatment, how can you contact him or her over the course of your treatment? How can you contact him or her if an emergency arises?
And lastly, they recommend finding out if the treatment model complies with the d
- Does the treatment model comply with the dental laws in your state? To check Kentucky’s dental laws, click https://www.aaoinfo.org/state-laws-and-regulations. Information for Kentucky’s dental board can be found at https://www.aaoinfo.org/aao/state-dental-board-info.
Remember that orthodontic treatment is not a product or device – orthodontic treatment is a professional, medical service. We wouldn’t diagnose our kids and give them medication without seeing a doctor in person and we don’t think it’s a great idea to move the bones in anyone’s mouth without seeing an orthodontist in person either. There is no match for a trained, experienced professional when it comes to your oral health. Especially since if not done correctly any dental work can lead to potentially irreversible and expensive damage such as tooth and gum loss, changed bites, and other issues.
Dr. Oles Drobocky at Drobocky Orthodontics received his degree from Western Kentucky University, the Dental School of The University of Kentucky, and Washington University in St. Louis’s orthodontics program and has spent years providing orthodontic treatment to his patients. He understands that there is more to creating a healthy, beautiful smile than moving the visible portions of your teeth.
Any medical decision should be weighed carefully
Before making any decision about orthodontic treatment, consider doing some research and having a complimentary in-person consultation at Drobocky Orthodontics. We can’t wait to meet you.
Dr. Oles Drobocky leads a friendly, dedicated team that works together to create a positive experience for patients and their families. He is an Invisalign Gold Plus Provider and the leading orthodontist in terms of Invisalign Teen cases treated in South Central Kentucky.
At Drobocky Orthodontics, we also make orthodontic treatment affordable by offering multiple payment options including full payment discounts, no-interest payment program, family discounts, and we accept direct payment from most insurance carriers.
Give us a call or click below for complimentary consultation:
Bowling Green: (270) 843-8556
Glasgow: (270) 651-6862
Franklin: (270) 586-7444