St. Patrick’s Day seems to bring out the Irish in everyone whether or not they are even Irish. The day has become a tradition for most of us each and every year. The parades, parties, wearing of the green and yes even green elastics for braces all come together on St. Patty’s Day.
Originally the holiday began as a commemorative day to Saint Patrick who was responsible for bringing Christianity to Ireland in the year 432 AD. The holiday originated as a commemoration of the life and death Saint Patrick who died on March 17th and therefore is remembered on that day. The Irish have celebrated this day for over 1,000 years and it is observed as both a religious day as well as a day to celebrate the Irish culture.
No matter how or why you choose to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, Drobocky Orthodontics has some wonderful “brace friendly” recipes offered by the American Association of Orthodontists. One in particular seems to be the favorite and that is Corned Beef Casserole. It is easy very simple to make and a great change from the traditional Corn Beef and Cabbage dinner.
Corned Beef Casserole
• 1 (8-ounce) package medium egg noodles, uncooked
• 1 (12-ounce) can corned beef
• 1 (10.5- to 14-ounce) can cream of celery soup, undiluted
• ¾ cup milk (use just ½ cup if using larger soup can)
• 1 Tablespoon dried minced onion
• ¼ cup bread crumbs (seasoned or toasted plain)
Preheat oven to 350°. In a saucepan, cook the noodles just until tender; drain. In a large bowl, chop the corned beef into a coarse crumbly texture. Stir in soup, milk and onion. Grease a 2-quart casserole. Add the noodles and the corned beef mixture and stir together well. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. This recipe should serve between 6 and 8 people.
Keeping in the spirit of the day with a healthy meal, add a side of fresh green beans and mixed green salad with a sprinkling of finely chopped purple cabbage.
Don’t forget this great recipe for your dessert. It can be made easily the night before and everyone is sure to enjoy it…particularly those who are wearing braces.
Green Ice Cream Jello
• 2 packages of jello (green)
• 1 package of knox unflavored gelatin
• 4 cups of boiling water
• 1 quart of nonfat vanilla ice cream
1) Mix together both packages of jello, gelatin, and boiling water to dissolve.
2) Add 1 quart of vanilla ice cream; stir until dissolved.
3) Pour into 9 x 13 glass dish
4) Refrigerate overnight, cut and serve! The ice cream will float to the top of the jello.
The total time to prepare this dish is ten minutes, besides refrigerating overnight.